Monday, December 6, 2010

Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary

This is the site of the park:  http://corkscrew.audubon.org/

     I had previously been to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary before for Environmental Biology of Southwest Florida and thoroughly enjoyed visiting it again.  Even though I like being in nature I do not like walking through swamps and marshes so I enjoyed walking along the boardwalk.  When I previously went to this preserve I got to see a lot of animals so I was a little disappointed to not see to many.  We did get to see a lubber grasshopper, which is large and yellow with black markings.  Our group also got to see an Anhinga bird, which is a black bird with gray and white on its wings.  Along the boardwalk we got to see transitions between each habitat including pine flatwood, wet prairie, cypress forests, and the marsh.
     I would like to return to this preserve again once I become an elementary teacher, because I think it would be great to take the children outside of the classroom to learn about the environment around them.  By doing this I could help promote ecological literacy at a young age.


http://bugguide.net/node/view/8811

No comments:

Post a Comment